1. I went to see Mamma Mia the other night and had to stop myself from standing up and cheering several times throughout the movie. I loved every minute of it. Any song by ABBA takes me back to college and there isn't a kid in my house that doesn't know the words to Dancing Queen. I actually cried when Meryl Streep sang it.
2. I cry really easily lately and it's bugging me.
3. My favorite combination of actions right now are all from Totallyradactions: 25% Oh Snap, 15% Cross Prossessed #2, 30% Boutwell's Magic Glasses and 25% Vignette and Blur. In Photoshop, I created my own action that applies each of of these four actions at this particular opacity without me having to individually apply them. I use this combination on a lot of my photos (including the one of Annie on the swing the other day which someone asked about).
4. I don't currently have any plans of teaching a photo editing class (I'm still recuperating from designing the online Photographers' Workshop).
5. I have called Josh, 'Josh Downs' ever since we met. And because of it, he got in the habit of calling me 'Karen Russell' too. In fact, I think we had been dating for more than 6 months before Courtney Lee realized that my name was just 'Karen' and not 'Karen Russell'. It's something I've always done though, but just with certain people (and there's no real rhyme or reason as to who I get in the habit of doing it with...but if I start calling you by your first and last name, I never quit...just ask my friend Dawn Fisk who has been married for years and doesn't even go by that name anymore). I think it's been a habit of mine since Junior High School.
6. I also have this really annoying habit of saying the same thing three time in a row. I never realized that I did it until Josh pointed it out to me.
7. I am really loving the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 lens that I got. I hadn't shot with a zoom lens in years, so it took some getting used to, but I'm really happy with it. It doesn't allow me to shoot in as low of light situations as my 50mm does, so I am primarily using it outdoors for 'everyday' shooting. The (much more affordable) Tamron version of this lens (28-75mm f2.8) was the only lens I owned for 3+ years though and it's a great lens for the price. And I don't find that Image Stabilization is necessary at this focal length. The only lens I have with Image Stabilization is the Canon 70-200mm f2.8.
8. I am hoping to have my updated class schedule posted here in the next week or two.
9. Don't forget that registration for my next two Online Photographers' Workshops (there is one starting in Nov. and another starting in Jan.) is on Monday, Sept. 8th at 9:00am PST. I have no idea how many people are going to try to register this time around, but if it's anything like the first registration day, be prepared to type fast. The registration page is here on my website.
10. Someone sent me a link (thanks Barbara) to Christine Middlecamp's blog the other day because she's got several posts that include all the pages of a mini album that she made using one of my Easel Albums for her husband who passed away from brain cancer. What's interesting is that I don't know Christine, but for some reason, her name has come up several times in conversations I have had with people recently and then Barbara sent me a link to her blog yesterday (which I had never seen before). I'm a person that doesn't believe in coincidence, so I took some time to read her story and am really moved by what she's going through. I've mentioned before that the fragility of life is something that has been in the forefront of my mind for months lately (maybe because I'm no spring chicken anymore) and her story is just another reminder of that.
12. Coley said that he needed to talk to me the other day...he said that he had decided that he thinks Barack Obama is a really nice guy but that if his Dad finds out he'll get kicked out of the house (Josh and I were talking politics the other night and Coley overheard Josh tell me that he was going to kick me out of the house when I started talking about all the things I like about Barack Obama).
13. Barack Obama IS a likable guy.
14. Coley flew out last night to Seattle to stay with my Sister and her husband for a few days. It's so weird watching your seven year old board a plane without you. I had to call him this morning though to tell him about McCain's choice for a running mate.
15. And right about now, Courtney Lee is probably eating cotton candy and jumping in a bounce house (it's the last day of her summer camp program and they're having a big carnival). This day is monumental in her little six year old life...it's all she's talked about for weeks now.
16. I let Annie shoot shoot with my old camera sometimes with the strap secure around her little neck so she doesn't drop it (she's really hard to get pictures of lately, but I've found that if I pose for a few pictures - she'll return the favor).
17. The borderI used on this shot is one I designed for Polkadotpotato.com (I just converted it to greyscale before I used it).
18. Ross is up in Portland with Dillon and Dillon's Grandparents and the highlight of his little life right now is that I finally broke down and got a cell phone family plan, so he is no longer "the only 16 year old in the world without a cell phone." I set up the plan though so that he only has 500 minutes a month and after he has used his 500 minutes, he is unable to make or receive any calls unless it is to/from me, Josh, my mom or 911. And he's doing extra chores around the house to pay the $9.95 per month for unlimited texting. And if he's caught texting during school...he'll be the only 16 year old in the world without a cell phone again.
19. Hopefully I haven't missed any questions...if I did, feel free to post your question again here in the comments section.
Hope you have a great weekend.